15 minutes prep • 30 minutes bake
Yield: 10 muffins (Extras can be frozen for quick meals)
• 4 eggs
• 2 egg whites
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 of a yellow onion, sautéed until softened
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 1 cup shredded zucchini, excess liquid squeezed out
• Hot sauce to taste, I used about 1 teaspoon
• Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a standard muffin tin with parchment liners or silicone liners.
2. In a small skillet sauté the onion until it has softened, about 2-3 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce until combined.
4. Whisk in the zucchini, quinoa, onion and 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
5. Pour the mixture evenly into each muffin cup and top them with the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
6. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
7. Remove from the oven and serve.
8. If you plan to freeze the muffins, cool them completely then wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container or freezer bag.