LEFTOVER BONANZA! This egg salad recipe with curry powder and chopped fresh chives, practically begs to be tucked between two pieces of pumpernickel bread and packed for lunch. It’s at once a simple and sophisticated spin on the classic sandwich. To make a single serving, as opposed to the four sandwiches our recipe delivers, hard-boil two eggs, chop them, and mix them a scant spoonful of mayonnaise, a dash of curry, and a sprinkle of chives. And feel free to upgrade our basic formula with any accompaniments you love, from sliced tomatoes or cucumbers to golden raisins or diced celery.
• 8 large eggs
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
• kosher salt and black pepper
• 4 slices pumpernickel bread
• 4 large leaves Bibb lettuce
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 12 minutes. Rinse the eggs under cold water, peel, and coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise and curry powder. Fold in the eggs and chives; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Dividing evenly, top each slice of bread with lettuce, then the egg salad. Serve with potato chips.