• 2/3 cup butter or margarine
• 5 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces
• 1 3/4 cups sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 9-inch square pan. In 1-quart saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
2. In medium bowl, beat sugar, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture on low speed. Beat in flour just until blended. *Stir in walnuts. Spread in pan.
* optional – stir walnuts in, or top with them. It’s much easier for people to pick them off than pick them out if there’s a problem. This works also without the nuts well, if necessary.
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or just until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack. For brownies, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows
* (Or if you’re like me, hide them, cut the pan in 4ths, and eat in secret. ) 😉